Notice

As those of you who have been following this blog have probably picked up, it is no longer active. The existing posts will stay up for reference, but I am no longer adding new content. Thanks for a fun two years! ~Tamara

Monday, October 26, 2009

'Bagelfuls'


Have you seen those commercials for Bagel-fuls? Yes, they're kitschy marketing ploys full of goodies like "cream cheese" [pasteurized milk and cream, salt, cheese culture, stabilizers (xanthan and/or carob bean and/or guar gums)] and "dough improvers" (ammonium sulfate, calcium sulfate, and azodicarbonamide). But those pictures appeal to the part of me that can't resist soft, warm, wheaty dough and creamy fillings.

Kraft advertises that their wares "provide a fresh-baked taste at home." Yesterday, as I was preparing to make my weekly loaf of bread, it occurred to me: why don't I just make them at home? To make my bagelfuls (note the absence of the hyphen; I'm copyright conscious :D), I followed my usual recipe for whole-wheat bread. I left out the egg, oil and flax because I'm a traditional bagel purist. I let the machine whir away until it had thirty minutes of rising left to go, at which point I stole the dough from its warm nest and divided it into eight pieces.

I decided to make four flavors: strawberry cream cheese, PB&J, apple cinnamon, and pizza. I made a pair of each for backups in case of seal failure. I flattened each piece into an oblong shape and spread the fillings in the center.


Then I folded the sides over in a burrito-making fashion and rolled the long edges up and over to make my bagel-logs. I placed the bagelfuls seal-side down on baking sheets and covered with plastic to rise for their final half hour.


When I came back after half an episode of Bones, the logs were puffy and ready for the bath. I boiled them for about a minute on each side.


They floated beautifully, and none of the fillings escaped! You can imagine how nervous I was slipping peanut butter and tomato sauce bombs into the pot, but there was nary a mishap. I popped the boiled bagels into the oven for 10 minutes at 400° to finish them up.


I only had one micro-spill--one of the PBs leaked its J.


I put them on the rack to cool, and ten minutes later dug into a strawberry cream cheese bagel for my afternoon snack. It tasted divine! Fresh, sweet and yeasty, and completely azodicarbonamide-free. For dinner, I had one of the pizza bagelfuls. I probably should have put more fillings in, but I was afraid of the sauce overflow common to Hot Pockets, calzones and their ilk.


I froze the others in individual baggies marked with a Sharpie pen for quick meals and snacks throughout the week. One of them is in the office freezer right now--I can't wait for lunch time!

2 comments:

  1. awesome; a close cousin to the Chinese "pao", which can be savory or sweet, and requires steaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! those are awesome! You sure could teach me a thing or two about homemade bread. I have a post coming up this week about a botched up homemade bread assignment...it was bad!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! Input is greatly appreciated.