Notice

As those of you who have been following this blog have probably picked up, it is no longer active. The existing posts will stay up for reference, but I am no longer adding new content. Thanks for a fun two years! ~Tamara

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Basic Roasted Almond Butter

I'm very snacky today. Despite reasonable, regular portions for breakfast and lunch, I was starving all afternoon at work and had to keep my hands out of the bosses' food stores by chain-chewing sugar-free gum. Even after coming home and chowing down on this:


I could not be saved from the grip of The Munchies. This delectable stir-fry was chased by a Green Monster, a square of 85% Lindt, frozen grapes, and this:



Candy. Crunchy candy. I would have infinitely preferred these clearance mini Luna bars if they were the chewy kind instead of the puffed soy nuts kind.

But even after all of that, I was still a bottomless pit. Then I had a bright idea. What better way to sneak in more snacky calories than to make something new that requires lots of taste testing? Example: my first batch of almond butter!

I used the last of my peanut butter this morning, and don't want to have to make a run to the grocery store just for my life blood another jar. Plus, making homemade nut butter is #64 on my Bucket List. I got to work by roasting about two cups of nuts that have been hanging around my pantry since my first rendition of the Ellie Krieger energy bar. I coated them lightly with canola oil and salt, and placed them in a 350° oven until they were fragrant (about 7 minutes).


Before VitaMix:


After Vitamix:


I added a little more canola oil at the end—about a half teaspoon?—because the butter wasn't quite smooth enough for my liking. I stored the batch in a small old Kroger PB jar.



Minus a few fingerfuls, of course. The fingerfuls were deeeelicious, but I'll let you know how it holds up when it really matters (in oatmeal) tomorrow.

While I had the oven on and dry Vitamix container out, I also made a few of these:


Oatmeal Cookie energy bars! Recipe forthcoming tomorrow, because if I gave up everything at once I wouldn't have enough material to write about every day.

1 comment:

Thank you for visiting my blog! Input is greatly appreciated.