Notice

As those of you who have been following this blog have probably picked up, it is no longer active. The existing posts will stay up for reference, but I am no longer adding new content. Thanks for a fun two years! ~Tamara

Monday, September 13, 2010

Busy Failing

Apologies for not posting all weekend; I've been too busy failing to come up with decent content.

In order to celebrate the end of summer, I wanted to perfect a home-made version of the quintessential hot-weather treat: the ice cream sandwich. First I consulted Google for recipes and followed this one with the usual modifications: half the sugar, half whole wheat flour, canola oil instead of butter.



A little thick, but they look decent, right? But they're rock hard. Eating them is certainly filling, but I want a soft chewy envelope around the ice cream, not chocolate flavored dog biscuits.

For take two I asked Alton Brown for assistance. The key to a chewy cookie, he says, is to use high-protein flour and lots of fats. I halved his chocolate chip recipe, subbed oil, halved the sugar and added cocoa powder, and produced a very sticky dough the consistency of store-bought frosting.


I spread it as thin as possible, but it insisted on puffing up in the oven.



Well, it could be worse than brownie sandwiches.


Or not. The "cookies" were dry. Even after freezing, just picking one of these up sprays crumbs everywhere! And the dryness completely dominates the creaminess of my Breyer's lactose-free vanilla.

After wasting effort and ingredients on two batches over the weekend, I figured I should take a break before trying again. I don't want to have to use butter and fiber-less all purpose in the cookies, but it may be necessary to get the right consistency. Has anyone succeeded in making good ice cream sandwich cookies before?

4 comments:

  1. when i've done homemade ice cream sammies i just go non traditional and take a cookie i like that's reasonably thin (chocolate chip usually) and use them. it's not what i got from the ice cream man, sure, but it's tasty! and my chocolate chip recipe makes for a chewy cookie so it works well frozen (i'd imagine an overly crunchy one would not work well).

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are better than me...when i fail at something i usually leave it for a while.
    dryness and rock hardness aside they look soo good.. i hope you can find the right tweaking to accomplish your desired effect. sometimes you gotta mess it up before you know how to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's quite honorable that you kept trying! Unfortunately I probably would have just given up and sulked after the first attempt.

    And I know nothing about baking, so I have no suggestions to offer...I'm not helpful at all, huh????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, using oil instead of butter or lard must doesn't hold things together. The oil does not properly solidify. You might try olive oil margarine instead of butter. (I get it at our local Stater Bros., but I assume it's available elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! Input is greatly appreciated.